Its’ been a long time since I was punched in the face. Until recently. No, it’s not what you think, despite the growing numbers of people who would gladly punch me in the face, I have started a system of physical training which means I will get punched in the face, and elsewhere.
So, the training goes like this. You learn how to punch. You learn how to move your feet. You learn how to duck and dive and roll your body. You learn how to put it all together and somehow this for a fleeting second makes you believe you can throw a punch and avoid anything that comes in your direction. Easy.
Then the voices start, ‘You know you’re going to be hit. Even professionals get hit.’ and the doubt sets in. More voices appear. This is going to hurt. What can you do to avoid it? Do you really want to be hit? Why did you put yourself in this position? What about your precious face?
The inevitable happens and you get punched in the face (other body areas are also available). Despite all of your preparation it connects. It hurts. It isn’t pleasant. Yet you’re still standing, you’re still moving, you have a little less fear of the next punch and you’re still throwing punches of your own.
There are many people who have talked about the links between contact sports like boxing, martial arts and life. About the lessons, you can take from these and apply to both your personal and business lives. What I am learning is this:
1) All the training in the world won’t prepare you for every eventuality, sooner or later you’re going to get hit and actually that’s OK. It isn’t that bad, it isn’t pleasant but it isn’t the end of the world. I think about all the things I was (and am) worried about facing in business. I’ve been hit, it set me back but ultimately I was still able to move forward.
2) Training will help you deal with being hit but it can’t stop it from happening. You can learn how to deal with most hits (some hits you just can’t prepare for) but remember most hits won’t knock you down, they’ll just sting a little.
3) Training is continuous. You can’t become an expert at something overnight, you need to be constantly in training, constantly developing yourself as a person to either better yourself or the lives of those around you. Once you stop training you’re in trouble.
4) It’s OK to ask for help when training. None of us knows everything we need to know, a lot of the time we need help and that’s OK. The hardest part can be asking for help but when you do you’ll wonder what took you so long.
5) To steal a quote from a great man “It ain’t about how hard you hit: It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.”
Fatal error: Uncaught Error:  operator not supported for strings in /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-content/themes/layerswp/core/helpers/post.php:56 Stack trace: #0 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-content/themes/layerswp/partials/content-single.php(72): layers_post_meta(255) #1 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-includes/template.php(772): require('/homepages/19/d...') #2 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-includes/template.php(716): load_template('/homepages/19/d...', false, Array) #3 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-includes/general-template.php(204): locate_template(Array, true, false, Array) #4 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-content/themes/layerswp/single.php(21): get_template_part('partials/conten...', 'single') #5 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-includes/template-loader.php(106): include('/homepages/19/d...') #6 /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once('/homepages/19/d. in /homepages/19/d588205677/htdocs/app588206100/wp-content/themes/layerswp/core/helpers/post.php on line 56